ADS-B Rebate re-introduced and tailBeacon info

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

ADS-B Rebate re-introduced and tailBeacon info

Post by GAHorn »

The FAA has re-introduced their $500 rebate offer to owners who install ADS-B Out devices that meet the appropriate TSO and make a proving/demo-flight.
I had only just last week contacted my local avionics shop, intent on purchasing the Garmin GDL82 which slips between the existing transponder and it's antenna. The GDL 82 is advertised at approx. $2K, ...but my avionics shop stated that by the time they make the installation and certify it will cost approximately $4600! 8O 8O

They suggest I spend $5600 to upgrade to a Garmin Txdr which will do the same thing and enjoy the benefits of a new txdr instead of the risk of failure of old equipment. (My Narcos are 20 years old and never give a problem at all... of course that can be viewed in either light good/bad.)

I revisited the matter and came to investigate the uAvionics website regarding their navigation-light replacement ADS-B Out device and see they are offering their tailBeacon for approx. $2K with the installation being a simple minor-alteration since it merely replaces the tail nav light and consists of a self-contained WAAS-GPS, Nav-Light (LED), and the necessary antennas. The tailBeacon uses the navigation-light power-lead as a "data-bus" to communicate with the existing txdr/encoder to broadcast the necessary ADS-B Out. It is installed using a Bluetooth App to configure it. (Contrary to the wingtip device they offer which is already approved, the tailBeacon will not include anti-collision-lighting, but only the white nav light.) The company promises it to be available Nov. 15 and will charge the credit card when the item ships, and it will meet the TSO as does their wingtip product.

I have two airplanes, a 170B and a 172C, neither of which has a WAAS-GPS presently, both of which have Narco AT150 txdrs. I also have a spare serviceable AT150. So my personal leanings are to avoid having to spend $5K (times TWO...or $10K) for a device which retains my old txdrs (with their risks of old-age-failures)**. I am also not inclined to spend $10 (times TWO) for higher-capability New txdrs with ADS-B In... when I have not needed those services for any of the flying I've done in personal airplanes to-date... or to spend unknown $ for WAAS-GPS for what are basically VFR airplanes used for pleasure and light-business flying. (uAvionics also offer two other products which are self-contained "buddies" that will provide the ADS-B In benefits... the costs being about $1400. See their website if interested.) https://uavionix.com/ Aircraft Spruce also offers the uAvionics products online, as does several other sellers such as Gulf Coast, Dallas Avionics, etc etc.

I have the 170B in my own name, and in a stroke of luck, had registered the 172C in my wife's name.... which does not violate the FAA rule for one-rebate per owner. So with luck and the rebates, We should be able to meet the minimum ADS-B Out requirement for both airplanes for around $3K plus some fuel for the proving flights.

I thought this thread might be re-opened in light of these newer developments. What plans have you?

** I'm also thinking that the market will be deluged with used txdrs at very low prices shortly, and that existing Mode A/C txdrs will likely still be mfr'd… and that even if wrong, the newer txdrs will still be available at that time for replacments, if necessary. I admit, it would be nicer if I didn't have txdrs from a defunct mfr'r, however. Glad I already have spares.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
IA DPE

Re: ADS-B Rebate re-introduced and tailBeacon info

Post by IA DPE »

When I bought my 170 a yr. ago I said then I’d wait until after the deadline when shops were hungrier and prices perhaps went down. Mine has a Narco AT50 and I have no need to fly in C or B airspace. With the reintroduced rebate I might reconsider, but it’s in the shop for Baggage Door and Pponk, so I want to see that final bill is first.
Last edited by IA DPE on Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
1955 C170B N2993D s/n 26936
1986 DG-400 N9966C
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

OMG to fit and certify a GDL 82 for $4600 , it’s about a 45 min job and to fit the GPS aerial about 30 mins . While I personally do not do the job but have had about 5 come through the shop it’s getting like a production line . For most aircraft [there are exceptions ],it’s about $450 total for labour and certification . We haven’t access to the tail light mounted model yet and have only seen one wing tip model. The shop doesn’t pay $2000 for the GLD82 either , it’s more like about $1600 . A smart way of doing business is only charge the customer what the shop pays for the hardware/software and charge reasonable labour rates, that’s one way of having a honest way of repeat business. If a customer knows he is getting great service and price he is a happy customer.
However manufactures often give back to the seller/workshop a rebate for repeat business. All my digital instruments in my aircraft was procured that way,including the STC.
Last edited by ghostflyer on Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

One issue that hasn’t been mention is when you purchase a new transponder they are all require a digital encoder . That’s another added expense. After fittment of the digital encoder the static system will require testing plus the the whole transponder system will require recertification.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

At the moment George, I'm still sticking to my plan to not do anything till the cost is in the $500 range. The uAvionics products are getting closer, specially with the rebate. I'm interesting in eliminating the somewhat electrically noisy and old wing tip strobe power supply and strobes so the wingtips version uAvionics is for me. And I hate Garmin products so anytime I can use something else, I will.

Only 3 flights on my 170 this year. None of them would have required ADS-B when it becomes mandatory. My Cub has been sold and I hope to quadruple the flights in my 170 next year to a whopping 12 or gasp more. I should be selling my 170 not investing any money in it or the government scheme. I suspect that is the case with many.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
rupertjl

Post by rupertjl »

i signed up for the second offering of the rebate and put my order in for the uAvionix wingtip skybeacon. I would have gone with the tailbeacon but it was not listed on the FAA Rebate page.
1950 170A: N9191A s/n 19366
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

The tail beacon doesn’t have approval yet (I think). Like their products but wondering whether their legal problems are over.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
3958v

Post by 3958v »

Am I the only one who feels robbed by our government after buying a new ADSB unit between the $500 rebates. Seems like they ought to tax the biz jets and airlines to pay for these units as most of us little guys really didn't want this technology. Bill K
Polished 48 170 Cat 22 JD 620 & Pug
170C

Post by 170C »

I, too, am a procrastinator. I have given some thought to the wingtip units, but I already have Whelen strobes and wingtips could be a bit more suseptible to damage and potential theft. The tail unit possibly less in both cases? I am not sure if the tail unit has both IN and OUT functions. I have a Scout unit ($200) that works well with my iPad and ForeFlight. Not sure if these expensive units are providing more IN info than my Scout or not. I do like its ability to point out other planes . I also realize that whether wingtip or tail unit, it uses my Narco AT150 which must be 20+ yrs old. Guess the new transponders would be nice, but I am not sure I need all the bells and whistles they offer at a premium price. A tail unit along with the $500 rebate might be the way to go. I'm like George, I have not been anywhere in the last couple of years, and that includes a trip from TN to NM where I would have needed the ADS-B Out. It will be interesting to see what other members comments will be on the vrs units.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

I'm based inside the Denver 30nm Mode C veil so I needed the "out" function. My Narco AT-50 needed TLC to pass the last two biennial transponder checks (though ATC never said it didn't work), so when I got a deal on a used Appareo ESG I took it. It solved both problems at once. While I was at it I also replaced my altitude encoder and transponder antenna. Cost about $3200 altogether.

Anyone want my old AT-50 as a backup? Plug-compatible with an AT-150. Worked when removed, but the power tube is old and probably weak. Yours for the cost of shipping.
Last edited by DaveF on Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Frank, I have it on good authority the FAA is never going to require ADS-B on stationary objects....you guys with green airplanes might want to wait it out awhile..... :twisted:
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
170C

Post by 170C »

But George, I have a red light on one wing tip and a red strobe on the belly. Doesn't that help? :mrgreen: Sure tough to get any respect around here :lol:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

I installed the Garmin GDL 82 unit under the first rebate program, I did the install myself and as mentioned above it was a very easy install, the hardest part was running the wires back to my avionics rack behind the baggage bulkhead. After seeing Uavionix unit I thought this was a very cool option but Frank brings up a good point - with a screwdriver and wire cutters this could be stolen in under a minute.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
n3833v

Post by n3833v »

I just recently scheduled my plane for the GDL82 and was quoted about 2500.00 installed. Now I am going to try for the new rebate as an additional credit.

John
John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

lowNslow wrote:I installed the Garmin GDL 82 unit under the first rebate program, I did the install myself and as mentioned above it was a very easy install, the hardest part was running the wires back to my avionics rack behind the baggage bulkhead. After seeing Uavionix unit I thought this was a very cool option but Frank brings up a good point - with a screwdriver and wire cutters this could be stolen in under a minute.
It would do no good to steal it as it is programmed to the airframe reg/sn. As soon as a thief powered it up... their location would be immediately known. :twisted:

In addition, Uavionix states: The certified skyBeacon and tailBeacon feature a unique password secured configuration interface via Wi-Fi. A user must enter the password to change the device configuration including the aircraft ICAO and callsign. The password is unique to the device, and once configured, cannot be reconfigured for another aircraft without that password. The password is essentially an anti-theft key, and should be kept secure with aircraft record. There are no external markings or indications on the skyBeacon or tailBeacon to indicate the password.