Seat belt replacement

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Byocum

Seat belt replacement

Post by Byocum »

The 1953 170B I have has 3 point over the shoulder restraint from am safe. But its impossible to reach the flap lever when you have them on. Can these be returned or modified to inertia real model. The price of a new set is 1400.00 +.
GAHorn

Re: Seat belt replacement

Post by GAHorn »

I doubt that you can return them if they are used, except for "refurbishment" by their OEM.

If you have AM-Safe belts they may have a solution for you. (see the AvWeb article below)

You might look into installing either Hooker or B.A.S. Inertia types under their STCs.
Here's BAS: http://basinc-aeromod.com/cessna.php
Here's Hooker: http://hookerharness.com/aviation.html

And here's an article by AvWeb on the subject: https://www.avweb.com/news/redundant/se ... 809-1.html

Hope that helps.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

By over the shoulder 3pt do you mean a single belt over the outside shoulder to the lap belt or 2 over the shoulder belts to the center lap belt buckle in a 4 pt?

Probably doesn't matter other than if you remove the first there will likely be damage to your headliner. If that later the damage would be covered by the new install.

As for trading them in or using what you have with an inertia real, I suppose anything is possible. I say that cause I collected used inertial reels and rewebbed them and then installed them under the fairly lenient, by FAA standard, FAA letter on installations of shoulder harnesses in aircraft that did not come with harnesses installed. Most people aren't going to get their hands on good inertia reels and it seems impossible to buy just the reels.

Fact is the BAS system is the simple, complete way to go for many reasons. Yes it is pricey, so is planting your face in the instrument panel in a mishap, but you know that or you simply wouldn't use the shoulder harnesses you already have.

The Hooker STC George listed is for a fixed belt system. They don't have inertia reels. I could be mistaken but BAS I believe is the only option if you want inertia reel shoulder harnesses.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Both Hooker and Aircraft Belts can be installed under Field Approval as well as the FAA Letter using Inertia Reels and the reels are sold by Aircraft Belts. http://aircraftbelts.com/
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Byocum

Post by Byocum »

It has a center mount behind the head and im guessing attached to the wing center spar? Can't see for the head liner. A strap comes over both shoulders down to the center buckle. Does a good job of holding you in place, But forget about the flap handle.
Bruce Fenstermacher

That would be a 4pt and it is likely attached to the center spar with the factory installed AN-3 nut plate.

Bruce Fenstermacher

I'd be surprised to find that if you designed and built a method to mount an inertia reel system from a company like Aircraft Belts, that you would beat the price and installation of BAS's STCd system. This is what I was trying to say. Of course I'd be happy to find a lower cost solution cause there really should be one. Specially since, in the case of our 170B models with the factory installed nut plate, it is a minor alteration to install.

My own system I put together, which I use today, was only worth the savings cause I got the inertia reels FREE. It satisfied my urge to "do it myself". But I probably wouldn't go down that road again.