Jury strut alignment

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

mike.bernath

Jury strut alignment

Post by mike.bernath »

Trying to finish this ragwing up from annual. The jury struts don’t seem to want to line up. If you get them to line up, they are bound up and the clamp isn’t laying flush and flat with the strut. Are jury struts on the 48 usually this finicky? After an hour of trying to get the aligned I finally stopped to check in. Short of custom making all new ones, anybody have any thoughts or ideas? Thanks
Poncho73

Re: Jury strut alignment

Post by Poncho73 »

I just reskinned my wings and had them off over last winter. I didn't have any big issues during the jury strut reinstall; however, I preassembled them, loosely and did a trial fit. I remember the rear one is the longest and the clamp faces forward. The small jury (lower horizontal) cross strut rods may be moved from left to right to help align the struts too. The assembly should sit vertical (viewed from the front) after install.
Poncho73

Post by Poncho73 »

Sorry this took so long. Here are some pictures of my jury struts. Prior to installing them make sure you install some packing tape in order to prevent chaffing.
Attachments
jury4.JPG
jury3.JPG
jury2.JPG
jury1.JPG
mike.bernath

Post by mike.bernath »

Thanks for the pictures. I think I’ve narrowed it down to “home made” Jury on one side that isn’t aligning very close at all. What appears to be a factory piece is fair at best. I’m going to have to cut them apart, align them on the aircraft and tig them back together. They are painfully out of whack. There is no aligning what I have after spending 3 hours trying the other day.