Seat Interchange Options

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Andy Metzka

Seat Interchange Options

Post by Andy Metzka »

I noticed a survey about non standard seats installed.
Does anyone know what model seats will work as a slide-in replacement?
Articulating 172 seats?
Particular model years?
Any preferences for comfort?

ALSO- what models should be AVOIDED concerning potential issues- AD's, Failures, etc....
minton

Re: Seat Interchange Options

Post by minton »

Consider the flap handle tunnel and the clearance/interference issues that you might encounter. I have found that to be an issue. The later model seats usually fit the co-pilot side without modification. The only later model seat I have found to work on the pilot side(tunnel clearance) without modification are the fully articulating ones or ones with the latest type of support frames. Maybe I 'm missing something, :? but that's been my experience.

Check for fit before purchase.

And remember, if you do modify a seat it's a major modification requiring a paper trail.

Also there are a few of the "S" model seats for sale floating around. They have a totally different seal rail/roller system that is not compatible with earlier seal rails (170/180/185)

As for AD's and other issues? There are many threads on those subjects you can research.

Just my opinion
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Besides what Minton said, there is a reason the stock seats are rounded in the front. They clear the front door post with the seat forward.

I've heard some seats more square can not be pushed far enough forward to get the seat of the seat rail requiring the seat to be taken of the back of the seat rail. And that requires removing the back seat. Of course you could always modify the seat rail. There is that ugly modify word again. :roll:
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
minton

Post by minton »

Bruce,

You get behind the seat and give it the boot with your friend holding up the seat stop handle. :lol: Works great!!
170C

Post by 170C »

Bruce, you are quite correct. Later model 172 seats (articulating) with the more squared off front seat bottoms do interfere with the front door post and the ones I have will not go forward enough to permit removal in the most forward position. It does require the rear seat attachment bolts to be removed so the rear seat can be moved aft a few inches. This permits the front seats to be removed from the rear. It is a bit of a hassle, but at least for me, worth it for the more comfortable, adjustable seats. There is no interference with the tunnel or flap handle.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

I can't think of a time that I had to remove the front seats that the rear seat wasn't coming out as well. (Annual Inspection).
So, that's a small price to pay for the comfort of a late model seat.

BTW, Im in the process of re-upholstering a set of late model 172 articulating seats for this vary reason.
My original 170 seats are in very good condition but kill my back after a few hours of flying.
minton

Post by minton »

170C wrote:Bruce, you are quite correct. Later model 172 seats (articulating) with the more squared off front seat bottoms do interfere with the front door post and the ones I have will not go forward enough to permit removal in the most forward position. It does require the rear seat attachment bolts to be removed so the rear seat can be moved aft a few inches. This permits the front seats to be removed from the rear. It is a bit of a hassle, but at least for me, worth it for the more comfortable, adjustable seats. There is no interference with the tunnel or flap handle.
Not my experience :D
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

minton wrote:Bruce,

You get behind the seat and give it the boot with your friend holding up the seat stop handle. :lol: Works great!!
Yes I'll bet that could work Minton. The operative words in my statement were "I've heard" which means I've not tried to remove the squared of seats myself. I've seen them and some of them adjusted forward to understand the issue and it looks to be as described. A pain in the butt at least, but then I cuss at my original seats most of the time I remove and install them. Why Cessna ever made the tolerance between the inner seat belt attach point and the seat what is it, I did like to know.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

There's a lot to watch out for when replacing the seats.
- Some newer seats have two lock pins, whereas original seat configuration has only one drilled rail. To use the newer seat you'll have to replace the undrilled rail with a drilled type.
- The lock pins on some newer seats are farther aft on the seat frame than they are on the original seat. This causes the seat to be more forward relative to the holes in the rail, so you may not be able to lock your seat as far back as you could with the stock seat. You run out of holes.
- Some newer seats have clearance problems with the forward lower wall upholstery and air vents, causing seat R&R problems. The seats can't be rolled far enough forward for the seat retainer tangs to reach the release cutouts in the rails. In that case, to remove the seat from the airplane, you have to remove the forward roller/tang assemblies from the seat frame. It's an annoying job because of the strong springs attached.
- Seat back upholstery in newer seats is often too wide to clear the window latch, so you have to open the window to move the seat past it.

There are several different kinds of newer seats, so be careful what you choose.
minton

Post by minton »

With some seats not able to lock in further aft trimming of leg length is one option. No 337 is required :lol:
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Sure, no 337 is required, but you'd have to declare the mod on your medical application. That could be worse than a 337.
edbooth

Post by edbooth »

I have reclining seats from a 1964 Skyhawk and they are great with the exception of ,as Bruce mentioned, removal from the front. Mary loves that reclining thing though. It is also great when you have to set down at an unattended airport for a couple hours waiting for weather to pass....just flip it back a take a nap.
Ed Booth, 170-B and RV-7 Driver
minton

Post by minton »

DaveF wrote:There's a lot to watch out for when replacing the seats.
- Some newer seats have two lock pins, whereas original seat configuration has only one drilled rail. To use the newer seat you'll have to replace the undrilled rail with a drilled type.
- The lock pins on some newer seats are farther aft on the seat frame than they are on the original seat. This causes the seat to be more forward relative to the holes in the rail, so you may not be able to lock your seat as far back as you could with the stock seat. You run out of holes.
- Some newer seats have clearance problems with the forward lower wall upholstery and air vents, causing seat R&R problems. The seats can't be rolled far enough forward for the seat retainer tangs to reach the release cutouts in the rails. In that case, to remove the seat from the airplane, you have to remove the forward roller/tang assemblies from the seat frame. It's an annoying job because of the strong springs attached.
- Seat back upholstery in newer seats is often too wide to clear the window latch, so you have to open the window to move the seat past it.

There are several different kinds of newer seats, so be careful what you choose.
The two lock pins are definitely an issue as are the seat track issues when two pins are involved. I'd check with your A/I as to how to deal with that issue. You certainly would not want to press forward without the OK from him and his PMI
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

edbooth wrote:I have reclining seats from a 1964 Skyhawk and they are great with the exception of ,as Bruce mentioned, removal from the front. Mary loves that reclining thing though. It is also great when you have to set down at an unattended airport for a couple hours waiting for weather to pass....just flip it back a take a nap.
I tried that once in my 206. We landed at Victoria, TX (where there was no service, no open FBO) to await a double-line of cold frontal passage. It took all night long... and man! What a night!
The wind rocked and rolled us violently in the tie-downs and the windshield upper edge leaked all night onto our pants legs. We were soaked and didn't enjoy much sleep. :cry:

Next time I'll get a motel.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Finally installed my 'new' seats from a '64 172.

You can not install them from the front, you need to pull the rear seat.

The reclining feature is nice BUT it's a royal PITA that the seats don't simply flip forward like the old one. It drives me nuts that I have to reach over and unlatch them every time I want to get something in the back. Really, it's a pain.

The back just barely clears the window latch. Barely. I can see how extra padded upholstery would be an issue.

I do like them but, but in hind sight I'd just get the original seats reupholstered to the same quality as I did these and be done.