Color scheme O-300B

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

fpinan

Color scheme O-300B

Post by fpinan »

Hi all,

I've tried to read all the post related to this subject but I have still some points which are not totally clear for me and I apologize in advance if the answers was already posted..

So,

As far as I understood ,

Cylinders : Flat black

Valve cover : Gloss black

Case and sump : Dark grey

Accessories : Gloss black for all of them

What about the manifold intake ?? Dark grey or flat black ??

As the cylinders are chromed , I will keep the orange ring on them..

What else , do if forgot something specific ??

I tried to find on line a picture of an engine 100% as the stock version but I don't think I have one
image.jpg
This one is correct for valve cover but should be flat black for the cylinders and the grey is to light ( if I'm right , this was more a Lycoming grey color isn't it ?? ) ( even if it's a wonderful nice job !! )
image.jpg
This one looks like to have the right dark grey case color , for the cylinder it looks good as well but the valve covers doesn't sound correct ...

Thank you very much all of you for your help :?
We will start to paint the engine in the next couple of days and I'm trying to have the right information BEFORE and not after :(

Thanks again in advance for you comments gentleman ,

Fred
Frédéric PINAN
52, C170B / SN#20627
f.pinan@gmail.com
Mooresville ,NC
fpinan

Re: Color scheme O-300B

Post by fpinan »

Ooppssss ...

I just realize that the post is probably not in the right spot ... I should have been in the hangar area ..
But I don't know how to move it ...
Frédéric PINAN
52, C170B / SN#20627
f.pinan@gmail.com
Mooresville ,NC
fpinan

Post by fpinan »

Aryana wrote:I think the rocker covers might have been silver at one point. I think that looks nicer than all black cyls/covers. Adds some contrast.
I agree totally , it will be nicer , even , I will have loved to have them Chromed but it try to bring back this lady,as close,as possible to the conditions when she left Wichita...
But thanks for your comment .
Frédéric PINAN
52, C170B / SN#20627
f.pinan@gmail.com
Mooresville ,NC
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

fpinan wrote:
Aryana wrote:I think the rocker covers might have been silver at one point. I think that looks nicer than all black cyls/covers. Adds some contrast.
I agree totally , it will be nicer , even , I will have loved to have them Chromed but it try to bring back this lady,as close,as possible to the conditions when she left Wichita...
But thanks for your comment .
Done. :wink:

The cyls were indeed black, as were the rocker covers. (TCM did not start painting engines gold until the 60s.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
fpinan

Post by fpinan »

So , is it the Dark grey on the second picture the right color tendency ?? More than the grey on the first picture ?.

And what about the manifold intake ?? Is it the same than the cylinders or the case ??? :?
image.jpg
Frédéric PINAN
52, C170B / SN#20627
f.pinan@gmail.com
Mooresville ,NC
tps500

Post by tps500 »

I overhauled an engine a few years back and found this outfit in Ohio . They will mix the proper grey for you in Randolph enamel.
http://www.aircrafttechsupport.com/

Tim
fpinan

Post by fpinan »

tps500 wrote:I overhauled an engine a few years back and found this outfit in Ohio . They will mix the proper grey for you in Randolph enamel.
http://www.aircrafttechsupport.com/

Tim
Tim ,
I don't need to buy the paint from them as I have my own source for that but I just need to know the color .
So if you did it , what's your opinion ? Is it closer to pic1 ( light grey ) or pic 2 ( darker grey )..

Do you have a picture of your engine you can send to me ??

Which color the manifold intake are on your engine ?

Thank you Tim
Frédéric PINAN
52, C170B / SN#20627
f.pinan@gmail.com
Mooresville ,NC
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Intakes were also black. I don't know as to the fidelity of the computer-monitor reproducing the colors you've pictured... but the original color was closer to the darker grey. (not exactly, but closer. Think "navy/battleship".)
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

With all the talk of original colors, with the different paint sources around, I would think that perhaps it would be best to match colors using Pantone matching system. At Horizon, we had a small scanner type device that was about the size of an optical tachometer for R/C airplanes that would scan the color and spit out matching colors.

The printing world lives on Pantone, but I'm not sure how much of that translates to paint. If nothing else, having a Pantone color chip is an easy part to match paint to. This would be another thing that would be nice to have in the Association's arsenal of information.
fpinan

Post by fpinan »

Ryan Smith wrote:With all the talk of original colors, with the different paint sources around, I would think that perhaps it would be best to match colors using Pantone matching system. At Horizon, we had a small scanner type device that was about the size of an optical tachometer for R/C airplanes that would scan the color and spit out matching colors.

The printing world lives on Pantone, but I'm not sure how much of that translates to paint. If nothing else, having a Pantone color chip is an easy part to match paint to. This would be another thing that would be nice to have in the Association's arsenal of information.

Yes , any colorimetric system will be ideal . In my composites Job we use (L,a,b ) coordinate color system under a specific light .
An other good color reference is the RAL system .

I think , i have now a good idea of what it should be . Thanks again !
Frédéric PINAN
52, C170B / SN#20627
f.pinan@gmail.com
Mooresville ,NC
tps500

Post by tps500 »

The color was very dark grey with a tint of blue. I will try to find a picture.
Tim
tps500

Post by tps500 »

OK, I found a picture, but it is hard to see the true color. It may be worth a call to Aircraft Technical Support. They were very helpful. The engine I did was an A65, and I bought a quart and some thinner, and I did two engines. The color was closer to the second picture. All of the pictures of Continental engines showed the intakes were painted black.

I would love to see a picture of your engine when you get finished.

Tim
Attachments
A65-2.jpg
A65-1.jpg
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Kind of on topic... has anyone every done an aerosol overhaul?
IE, try to re-paint the motor while still on the plane for cosmetic reasons?
fpinan

Post by fpinan »

tps500 wrote:OK, I found a picture, but it is hard to see the true color. It may be worth a call to Aircraft Technical Support. They were very helpful. The engine I did was an A65, and I bought a quart and some thinner, and I did two engines. The color was closer to the second picture. All of the pictures of Continental engines showed the intakes were painted black.

I would love to see a picture of your engine when you get finished.

Tim
Oh waouh !! Very nice work Tim .
I might finally just by it from your source as I love the color.
It was a 2K component right ?

Sorry to bother you ...
Thanks again Tim for your help.
Fred
Frédéric PINAN
52, C170B / SN#20627
f.pinan@gmail.com
Mooresville ,NC
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Spruce sells "Lycoming Gray" paint in a rattle can that approximates it.