Want to re-fabric metalized 170

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Want to re-fabric metalized 170

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Didn't read the actual STC. But the following is straight from the Polyfiber web site. Take note of the last question and answer.
  • Why are we so concerned about attaching fabric to wing ribs?
    >This is a very important step. When fabric is used to cover a wing certain precautions must be taken to ensure the fabric does not "balloon-up" in flight. Lift on a wing will cause the fabric to attempt to raise up on the top surface and separate from the ribs or from the plywood on a wooden airplane. This ballooning affect could be disastrous. You certainly do not want the fabric to separate from the ribs and spoil the lift on a wing. If this occurs in flight an accident is almost certain to follow.

Should I only secure the fabric to the wings?
    >You must secure the fabric to any surface that creates lift-wings, control surfaces, etc.

How do I do this?
    >It depends upon the type of airplane. Several methods are available. They range from sewing it to the ribs using a rib lacing cord to using screws. Rib lacing, screws, rivets, and fabric clips are the most common methods used.

How do I know which one to use?
    >If you have a production airplane you must use the method originally employed by the manufacturer. If you have an experimental airplane you may use any method you choose.
I will add that on a Piper Cub type rib the stitching, besides holding the fabric from ballooning, also transfers lift load to the entire rib as a unit. If one stitched to just the top T rail of the rib rather than around the entire rib, the rib will be pulled apart. The T rail Piper used could be easily drilled for clips rather than stitching but then again the rib will be pulled apart.

On a Cessna 170 it is obvious the construction of the rib is different than the Piper in that attaching the fabric to the rib via clips as the factory did, will not pull the rib apart. The rib is designed with this method of attachment in mind.

And in my eye, assuming the rib structure would allow it, stitching should work just fine. But that doesn't make it legal.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
ROCKY

Post by ROCKY »

n2582d wrote:If restoring your wings doesn't work out you might consider making a deal with this guy in Spokane.
Thanks
integritywood

Post by integritywood »

There is an stc for rivets on the 120-140 version. you might be able to get approval based on that as the ragwing 170 is just an enlarged version of the 140.
Just because you're more proficient at it doesn't prove your method is better!
Kimball Isaac
1948 Cessna 170
C-GYHC
jwpalmer

Post by jwpalmer »

If approved, I'd go with the rivets also. That's how the tail feathers on my Maule are done. That way you get to use the existing rivet holes (might have to add some) and don't have to worry about those pesky clips. Maule's factory method is to use individual pieces wrapped and glued around each rib. When you buy the envelope, you use rivets or stitching.

John
Kurt Aichele

Post by Kurt Aichele »

We had re-done our wings and used the pop rivets. There is an STC for the 120/140/170. Use to be from Dip Davis, but he passed and Ken and Lorraine Morris took it over. They are wonderful people and have restored numerous aircraft. I'm sure they will be able to answer some of your questions. Here is the link.
http://www.poprivetstc.com/
MarcR

Post by MarcR »

Do you have any contact information on the Dip Davis Cowl Latch system?
Marc
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

This is the latest (2019) web site for Dip Davis STCs, the pop rivets for the 170 recovering and cowl latches for all 170 models.

https://taildraggeraviation.com/stcs/
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com