Fuselage Support

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Kyle

Fuselage Support

Post by Kyle »

Evening... I was thinking of making a fuselage support that is essentially pieces of plywood cut to the shape of the fuselage between the gear legs. If I cut it to match the couture between the gear legs, make it slightly wider than the box that supports the gear legs and pad it with carpeting - does anyone see an issue with doing so. If I used two bottle jacks on each side I'm thinking it will be very easy to level the plane as I work on a complete rig / trim check etc and work on gear legs / wheels and the like.

Thoughts ?

Kyle
Kyle Takakjian
Truro, MA
52 C-170B, N8087A
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Fuselage Support

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I don't see and issue with the support. However why would you go through this trouble for rigging?

I'm of course assuming your not talking about rigging the gear in which case having them both off the ground might have some benefit.

But if your leveling the aircraft for control rigging then leave the wheels on the ground. To level the aircraft laterally let air out of a tire.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Kyle,
I have an example of the device you are describing, I made it many years ago and have used it many times. I used a piece of cardboard to cut and fit it to the curve of the bottom of the fuselage between the gear legs. The curve was then transferred to a piece of 4 X 4 lumber and it was cut out with a band saw and lined with carpet. The airplane can be set upon it using either cribbing or a couple of sturdy saw horses or whatever. I've used it for years. Real handy device when working on the main gear.
I think it will fit just about any 100 series Cessna.
BL
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

C170 Main gear jack photos.JPG
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Thanks for the suggestions and pictures everyone. And Bruce the wheel method makes perfect sense although in addition to leveling for rigging, this year I’m pulling the wheels, wheel fairing mounting plates, etc. so having both wheels off at the same time without beating up the gear legs will be nice. John – nice rig – Aluminum or Stainless? Although the quickest and simplest may be Blueldr’s method. Either way, we are going to go through the 170 rigging document step by step and hopefully solve the left wing heavy issue. Last year we checked all basic rig specs and didn’t find anything seriously off – so it will require a more in depth look.
Kyle Takakjian
Truro, MA
52 C-170B, N8087A
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The 100ll Series Service Manual illustrates how to build a fuselage support.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Kyle,
The support is made of a scrap of 1/2x3" steel strap, bent in a bench vise, with 11/2" pipe caps used for jack sockets and painted gray.
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"