Instruments

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Ralloch

Instruments

Post by Ralloch »

Hello.
I’m a happy C170 B owner :D .
I would like to keep original board but some instruments are not in good condition.
May be it will be better to remplace some by another original one.
That why I ‘m looking for original vacuum MODEL F-3 ATTITUDE GYRO and vertical speed indicator.
170C

Re: Instruments

Post by 170C »

Join the International Cessna 170 Association. You may find what you are wanting in our association. (Guessing you aren't a current member since the 170 decal isn't displayed by your name)
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Due to the changing electronic environment and having your steam driven instruments overhauled is getting harder. Many of the old instrument manufactures are not around. The newer instruments are combined and have greater accuracy and reliability. While some of us wish for bigger fuel tanks or greater range ,I have found efficiencies with flight planning and engine management has given me lower costs of operation and greater range . A number of years ago I was flying constantly between 2 points which was 420 miles apart. Some times I could make it on a tank full or some times I had to drop in for a “splash” of fuel to get there. Then I purchased a Garmin 296 . OMG it was 72 miles shorter on the magenta line . For years I was following the coast or near by. Then I was using GPS for every trip. It was quicker and the fuel savings were unbelievable . Then I was given a EI fuel flow computer. So leaning was now scientific. Fuel consumption again went down for the trip. So now all engine instruments are digital . Now waiting for the rules to change so I can get rid of all vacuum driven instruments to be removed . Have flown a few hours in a new Cessna 172 with Garmin suite fitted. So easy to fly in IFR conditions . So accurate . Maybe ...maybe one day have a auto pilot .
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

ghostflyer wrote:............ Maybe ...maybe one day have a auto pilot .
Interesting........What autopilots are certified for the 170?
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

As I said “maybe ...maybe “ but it’s my belief that Garmin could be doing a STC. But at 10,000 dollars plus is a bit hit .
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

hilltop170 wrote:
ghostflyer wrote:............ Maybe ...maybe one day have a auto pilot .
Interesting........What autopilots are certified for the 170?
Tactaire. I have an original Tactaire installation/maintenance manual if anyone finds an autopilot they wish to install. :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Ralloch wrote:Hello.
I’m a happy C170 B owner :D .
I would like to keep original board but some instruments are not in good condition.
May be it will be better to remplace some by another original one.
That why I ‘m looking for original vacuum MODEL F-3 ATTITUDE GYRO and vertical speed indicator.
Ralloch,
I’ve called several instrument shops here in the US including Keystone, Rudy Instruments, and Kelly Instruments, asking about the Sperry F-3. None of them had one in stock. The latter two shops also said they could not overhaul these because parts are no longer available. Rudy’s suggested that maybe the warbird community could help with parts such as the pivots which “are coned and machined”. To find an F-3 they suggested finding someone with access to Parts Base or ILS. One part number for the Sperry F-3 is 661961. The original vertical speed indicator (VSI) was a Kollsman Scout. They are readily available at online auction sites and aircraft instrument shops. Look for p/n 991-10-01, 991-18-01, or 991-2-10. Mine has radium on the dial face and needle. Because of this most instrument shops will not overhaul them.
Gary
170C

Post by 170C »

Maybe Trio or TruTrak will eventually get an stc for 170's. A friend of mine here put a Trio in his '59 182 and loves it. I think 172's are approved, but while less expensive than anything with Garmin written on it, its still pricey.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Ralloch,... keep in mind that Cessna installed WAR SURPLUS instruments in these airplanes as they were available and cheap at the time. Many many many contractors made such instruments for the gov’t and the Sperry F-3 just happened to be in your airplane. (For example, mine had a Ternstadt made by General Motors...made to the same specification ...identical in function/appearance/fit/form/etc... but just a different contractor.)

Quality Aircraft Instruments in Wichita KS will still overhaul your older AN-style instruments. Hope that helps.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)